This is now restored and used as the city hall and police department. The Macon & Dublin Railroad was chartered in 1885 and withing a few years Savannah was added to the name to attract investors. Since the Central of Georgia already ran to Savannah, albeit via a more northerly route, the main attraction of the MD&S was a more direct route to Savannah, passing through Vidalia. This distinction earned the shortline the nickname “The Vidalia Route”. And Vidalia was the end of the line for the railroad, as it never made it to Savannah. The Atlantic Coast Line took over the MD&S in 1904. Luckily, Jeffersonville was historic-minded enough to save this rare relic.