This was once the home of Allen Johnston, who settled the area of present-day Ludowici around 1850. It was known as Johnston Station until 1905. The Ludowici tile roof was added to this structure around 1905, as well. It’s a real shame to see it in this condition, as it’s the only remnant of the town’s earliest history in existence. For an interesting history of Ludowici, check out Thomas Houston’s essay here:
Category Archives: Ludowici GA
Ludowici was founded as a railroad stop (known as Four and a Half) in the 1840s; by 1850 it was known as Johnston Station, after landowner and businessman Allen Johnston. German entrepreneur William Ludowici built the “Dixie” plant of his Ludowici Celdadon Company in Johnston Station in 1903, and in 1905 the town was renamed in his honor. Ludowici roofing tile is still manufactured and considered one of the finest such materials available, though it hasn’t originated in Long County in decades. Just a handful of Ludowici tile roofs survive in the town so linked to their history, but several are well-maintained by owners. This home, architecturally one of the most interesting surviving, is in critical condition.
In the early years of the 20th Century, housing was generally provided to teachers at a very low cost. Caveats for residents, though, were plentiful. Women were expected not to date, to be unmarried, and to uphold a strict moral code. This example in Ludowici has been slightly modified, but remains in good shape overall.