Category Archives: Moultrie GA
This Art Deco landmark now serves as the senior citizens center. Built by Charlie Powell and remodeled after burning in 1956, it’s one of the most visually appealing theatres in South Georgia and is an integral part of the National Register Downtown Historic District. It closed as a theatre in 1978.
Pleasant Grove Primitive Baptist Church Cemetery, Moultrie
18 January 1899 – 22 December 1950
Ask anyone in Moultrie about the “elephant” and this is where you will be directed. Locals contend that this is the most famous landmark in Colquitt County and since it’s thought to be the only elephant tombstone in the world, the distinction seems appropriate. The life-size sculpture depicts Nancy, a baby elephant owned by Duggan, who had just bought a circus at the time of his death. As a boy, Duggan worked with elephants in various circuses and always favored them. His son had this sculpture commissioned after his death.
For a bit more history:
This Neoclassical Revival landmark was designed by the Andrew P. Bryan Company.
For a great glimpse of Moultrie’s past: