Built by the federal government to guard the entrance to old Fort Screven, the guardhouse also served as a jail. When the War Department sold Fort Screven to the city of Savannah Beach (now the city of Tybee Island) in 1945, the guardhouse was used briefly as a jail, before serving as the community center. An expert renovation was completed in 2007 and the old guardhouse is still known as the Tybee Island Community House.
Category Archives: Tybee Island GA
The lower sixty feet of this lighthouse date to John Mulryne’s construction of 1773, itself a replacement for two previous lighthouses (the first of which was built for James Oglethorpe, in 1736). So strategic and important to the future growth of Georgia was the placement of a lighthouse at the confluence of the Atlantic Ocean and the Savannah River that General Oglethorpe threatened to hang the incompetent builder of the first beacon. Numerous modifications and additions have been made over the ensuing two centuries.