This is among the grandest homes in Vienna, which has a wonderful historic district full of surprises like this one. It was built by P. G. McDonald from timber cut at his Dooly County farm. In the years following, it was owned by longtime Vienna mayor Jack DeLiesseline and his wife Ethyl, who was a well-known poet and camellia cultivator. It was purchased in 1976 by the Couch family, who have beautifully maintained and restored it ever since. Thanks to Laura Couch Fokes and her delightful mother, Diane Couch, for sharing the history of this special place. Diane’s love for the house and its history is truly inspiring!
Category Archives: Vienna GA
Gothic design was all the rage in Vienna in the first decade of the 20th century, at least on Church Street. This beautiful structure, as well as the Methodist church just a couple of blocks away, are two of Vienna’s most architecturally significant houses of worship. The cornerstone reads: Providence Baptist Church, Organized 1836 – Renamed First Baptist Church of Vienna, 1890.
Formed in 1849 as the Vienna Episcopal Methodist Church, Vienna United Methodist Church is today located in this beautiful Gothic Revival landmark. It’s the third location to house the congregation.