This beautiful home is a well-known landmark on U. S. 301 south of Statesboro.
Tag Archives: –BULLOCH COUNTY GA–
The Hollands were a prolific family in early Bulloch County. Their family plot features some of the most interesting headstones in Lower Lotts Creek cemetery.
Henry Holland (4 March 1817 – 20 March 1895)
Eliza Holland (18 February 1821 – 23 July 1898)
Other burials in this plot include: Confederate Veteran John, (24 December 1845 – 17 June 1924) & Lavenia Holland (19 March 1847 – 24 February 1920); Miss Margaret Holland (2 December 1847 – 29 January 1894 ); Miss America Holland (21 March 1852 – 18 December 1892); Eliza Holland (9 June 1858 – 3 January 1861); John H. Holland (27 January 1880 – 29 January 1891).
This cenotaph was placed by descendants of Bridger Jones in 1996:
Bridger Jones (1759 – 1819), Son of James Jones and Mary Bridger, a daughter of Robert Bridger who was a grandson of Colonel Joseph Bridger (1628 – 1686), Councilor of State in Virginia to King Charles II of England. Jones served in the American Revolution as a seaman in the Georgia Navy, and later as a cornet in the militia of North Carolina, where his father had moved. His wife was Rachel Barry (1762 – 1830), daughter of James Barry and Mary Noble, daughter of Samuel Noble of Carteret County, N. C. Bridger and Rachel came here in 1806. He was a Justice of the Bulloch County Court (1808 – 1813). Their children were Berry, Mary Rachel, Bridger Jr., John Thomas Briant, Josiah, Bazzell, Buckner, and Ann. After his father’s death, Berry deeded to the church six acres including the graveyard where family members are buried.
I visited the iconic Harville House for the first time in nearly a year yesterday and was glad to see that the Bulloch County Historical Society, with assistance from the Jack N. and Addie D. Averitt Foundation, had placed a marker explaining its history. The house is on private property and should be photographed from the road only. Here’s the text of the historic marker:
Samuel Winkler Harville purchased this 754-acre farm in 1862. Born on December 17, 1826, Harville was one of two delegates Bulloch County sent to the 1861 Secession Convention in Milledgeville. He voted for Georgia to secede from the Union.
Samuel’s son, Henry Keebler Harville, purchased the property and built the Harville House as a one-story house around 1894. The second story was added ten years later, resulting in a total of 14 rooms to accommodate a growing family. The vernacular architectural features of the house were inspired by a dream of Keebler Harville. The lumber used was cut and sawn from timber grown on the farm. By the time of Keebler’s death in 1946, the farm had grown to 2800 acres. More than just a landmark, the farm was self-sustaining for 10 families. It included a grist mill, saw mill, cotton gin, two-story smokehouse, ice house, syrup house, and a commissary. He was the first in Bulloch County to sell peanuts commercially and picked peanuts commercially for other farmers from Blitchton to Claxton. He purchased the first corn snapper in the county.
The Harville Cemetery is located 1/4 mile west of the house.
In 1870 a group of Croatan Indians migrated from Robeson County North Carolina, following the turpentine industry to southeast Georgia. Many became tenant farmers for the Adabelle Trading Company, growing cotton and tobacco. They established the Mt. Zion Baptist Church in Adabelle, as well as a school and this nearby cemetery. After the collapse of the Adabelle Trading Company, the Croatans faced both economic hardship and social injustice. As a result, most members of the community returned to North Carolina by 1920. The tribe to which these families belonged became known as the Lumbee in the early 1950s. Few headstones remain, though there are five or six in the cemetery, likely of local people somehow connected to the tribe.
Text of the Marker:
In memory of Lucinda Locklear, Pink Locklear, Hezie Emanuel and Margaret Adline Locklear, and the other dauntless Indians from Robeson County, North Carolina, who settled, lived, and died here sometime between the close of the Civil War and the 1920s and whose graves are unmarked.
Dedicated June 4, 1989