Tag Archives: –DODGE COUNTY GA–
Frank Brown, who owns this old store, has recently been renovating it and staining the newer boards to match those already on the building. The store was operated by his family from 1940 until 1985. Before that, it operated for many years as a cotton warehouse (dating to the early 1900s). In researching the history of the area, Frank learned that it was actually called Yonker, instead of “Yonkers” and he’s had the name officially changed by the Department of Transportation. Here’s a view, from Frank, of progress on the store restoration:
Founder in 1868 of the Georgia Land and Lumber Company, William Pitt Eastman settled the town bearing his name in 1870. He was instrumental in the founding of Dodge County. His daughter sold the house to Judge James Bishop, Sr., in 1896. James Bishop and Cary Bullock inherited it in 1926. It now serves as headquarters of the Dodge Historical Society.