The first Methodist church stood near this location, but by 1903, congregants were dissatisfied with their facility and began to meet in the old courthouse. A large church was built sometime around 1907, but was torn down in the late 1920s and rebuilt. That facility served for about twenty years, until the present one was built.*
*Willie Mae Smith, The Ocilla Star, 1 February 1973.