The Roddenbery name isn’t just synonymous with Cairo; it’s known throughout the nation for its products, from syrups to pickles. W. R. Roddenbery improved upon his father’s cane syrup recipe and in 1890 began commercial production. By 1920, when this building was constructed, Roddenbery’s was already a major food production industry. The second floor originally served as the Cairoga Club headquarters, with several business leasing storefronts downstairs. From 1932 to 1970, the business offices for the W. R. Roddenbery Company occupied the second floor. Sadly, Roddenbery’s was sold to Dean Foods in 1993, the local factory was sold ten years later, and no Roddenbery pickles or peanut butter are to be found today. Cane Patch Syrup is still around, though, and the Cairo football team is still known as the Syrupmakers.
Cairo Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places