John Wayne McRae notes that this was the home of Max & Emma Sue McRae. He adds: Judge Maxwell Lamar McRae (1875-1951) read law under the Honorable Tom Eason and was admitted to the bar in 1895. In 1902 he was appointed city judge by Governor Terrell, a position he held until 1907. He was Secretary and Treasurer of the McRae Grocery Co., which he organized in 1906 and President of the Telfair Fertilzer Company, which he organized on 1910. In 1921 he returned to farming, owning about 3,000 acres of land. He was a member of the Georgia Legislature from 1898-1899, served as Mayor of McRae for several terms and was vice-president of the board of trustees of South Georgia College. He was a 1st Lieutenant during the Spanish-American War. Judge McRae was also a co-founder of Brewton Parker College in Mt.Vernon.
National Register of Historic Places