One of the oldest houses in Fort Gaines, the home of General John Dill has been expanded and altered over the years. Dill came to Georgia in 1817, as an aide to General Edmund P. Gaines. He was given command of Fort Gaines, a frontier garrison on the Chattahoochee River. Upon the cession of Indian lands in 1826, General Dill retired and became one of the first merchants in Fort Gaines. A successful businessman, General Dill also served Early County as Justice of the Inferior Court, Brigadier General of the Georgia Militia and as an aide to Governor Lumpkin. The house was purchased by Mrs. S. R. Raymur in the 1890s and remodeled to its present Victorian appearance.
National Register of Historic Places