The old lunchroom (1950s) is all that remains of the Excelsior School and serves today as the Snipesville Community Center. Jesse Bookhardt writes: This photo is of the old Excelsior School grounds at Snipesville, Georgia. Excelsior was where all the Bookhardt children attended during the 1940’s through the 1960’s. The rectangular brick building with the covered walk was the school’s last lunchroom built in the 1950’s. Prior to that the white wooden structure that is in the background was the cafeteria. Where the tin covered pavilion stands was the main school building’s location. Sometime after Jeff Davis County consolidated schools, the Excelsior building fell on hard times. Regrettably, the main building burned under rather mysterious circumstances. At the time the school was being used as a “night club” of sorts that dispensed alcoholic spirits. Disapproving, many that had attended the school felt the use of the school in such a way was a disgrace. It was like having a church used as a bar or bothel. The burning flames took away the building but could not erase the memories, friendships, and learning that many still cherish. School colors were Black and Red and the Yearbook was called the Huckle Buck. A farm net wire fence enclosed the grounds and at the entrance one had to cross a stock-gap. Two old multi holed out houses stood in the rear of the main brick building, one on each side. Students played basketball on a red clay court and softball in a rough field that abutted the Snipesville to Jacksonville, Georgia Road (Ga.107). The school had a basketball team and competed against other county teams—Altamaha, Brooker-Denton, Satilla, and Hazlehurst. The team also participated in an annual basketball tournament in Broxton, Georgia. Long live the memory of Excelsior School.