From the marker placed by the Georgia Historical Society & Trustees and Friends of Old Shiloh in 2001: Shiloh Methodist Church, the second Methodist Church in Tattnall County, was organized c. 1810 by Rev. William Eason and remained at this site until the 1850s when it was moved a short distance north. Unlike at other churches in the area at the time, a cemetery was maintained beside the Meeting House. Six generations of area residents are buried here in likely the first public cemetery in Tattnall County. Burials include area pioneer Michael McKenzie Mattox, Methodist ministers, Confederate veterans, local and state elected officials and numerous other whites and blacks–both free and slave. The last burial occurred in 1942.
The cemetery’s setting in a grove of old oaks makes it particularly nice to visit. A large number of Confederate veterans are buried here, as well.
Sergeant Washington E. Mattox, Company B, 61st Regiment, Georgia Infantry (1834-1916)
Though the nearby church is no longer used for regular services, it is well-maintained and watched over by a friends group and by Reidsville United Methodist Church.