Built in 1936 by George F. McCranie, Jr., and his three sons, the McCranie Brothers turpentine still near Willacoochee is the last original still in its original location remaining in Georgia. It is a reminder of a time when naval stores were the only cash crop in South Georgia other than cotton.
The still was active until 1942, when two of the brothers went off to war. It was a wood-burning still, built in the style of 19th-century whiskey distilleries in North Carolina. The young McCranie brothers were quite experimental, though, and charted many innovations in an effort to modernize and improve the process. By the time of its inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975, this still was recognized as the most important remaining example of a naval stores operation in the state, and it remains so today.
National Register of Historic Places