This structure replaced the community’s first jail, a wooden structure built in 1859. The first sherrif of Quitman County, created in December 1858 from Randolph and Stewart Counties, was Sam Guerry. Commissioners who oversaw the building of this jail were J. E. Harris, Dr. F. M. Bledsoe, J. P. Kimble, and W. A. Cumbie. James H. Guerry was Judge of the Superior Court; M. L. Albritton was Ordinary; and G. A. Whitaker was Clerk of Court.
National Register of Historic Places