In his book Houses of Heart Pine: A Survey of the Antebellum Architecture of Evans County, Georgia (2001) Pharris DeLoach Johnson notes that this house was already built when purchased by Uriah Rogers in 1856. Rogers gave the house to his son James, who then sold it to his brother, John “Duffy” Rogers, Evans County’s longest-surviving Confederate veteran. Thirteen of his twenty children were born here to his first two wives, Laura Blitch of Blitchton who died here during childbirth in 1883, and Melvina Hearn. John Rogers lived here until 1891, when he built the large home seen in the next post. It is in immediate danger as the back roof is collapsing and this important house will soon be lost if not stabilized.