Regarding this history of Drayton Methodist, the South Georgia Conference of the United Methodist Church notes: When this church was built, Drayton, in Dooly County, was a village of several stores, saloon, post office, and courthouse. In 1840, the present church was built with land deeded in 1848. Mrs. Temlie Brooks recalled that as a nine-year-old in the 1800s, she attended regularly sitting in the balcony. When the church for black members was built across Turkey Creek, the same preacher served both churches for a time. Today, asbestos siding protects the outside, electric lights replace the two kerosene lamps, (one for the preacher, the other for the people) and the pump organ is silent.