Also known as the Durden-Brinson-Brewer House, this Emanuel County icon seems to be a mix of several styles.
It is known that Henry Murray was the primary architect of the house. In its listing in the National Register of Historic Places, the home’s dates of construction are given as 1850s/1870s. The rear section dates to the mid-1850s and the two-story “front” section was built around 1870. The central dormer may be a later addition. After construction of the newer house, the original house was attached and put into service as a kitchen.
National Register of Historic Places