St. John was established by Stith Mead in 1788. The first permanent meeting house was completed on this site in 1801 and Bishop Francis Asbury was among its earliest visitors. The original sanctuary was rolled by mules on logs and became the Springfield Baptist Church. It is still standing and is Augusta’s oldest house of worship. Morehouse College was founded within its hallowed walls. The present sanctuary was designed by William Goodrich and consecrated in 1844.
Augusta Downtown Historic District, National Register of Historic Places