Sandersville is one of the old towns of the Georgia interior, having been designated Washington County’s seat of government in 1796. The present courthouse is the third to serve the county. The first was destroyed by fire in 1855 and a second structure was burned by Sherman’s forces during the Civil War. This High Victorian, with its Second Empire clock tower, has long been a symbol of Sandersville. Sadly, its architect is unknown.
National Register of Historic Places