The Rogers & Summit Railway was established in 1889 to bring rail service into eastern Emanuel County. Its replacement, the Millen & Southern Railway, was completed by 1892; the depot likely dates to around that time. In 1897, the railroad’s name was changed to the Millen & Southwestern. The Georgia & Florida Railroad purchased the line, along with several others, in 1906 and in the process of linking these to form an Augusta-to-Madison-Florida route, built new tracks and bypassed Summit. Summit and Graymont merged to become Twin City in 1920. Decreasing rail traffic lead to the closure of the line in 1950. For more, see Steve Storey’s railga.com.
Twin City Historic District, National Register of Historic Places