The South Georgia Conference of the United Methodist Church notes: Shortly after the town of Waresboro was settled, there were Methodists gathered for services. In the early records, the preacher from the Waresboro Circuit preached at the beginning of the church in Waycross…It was as part of the Waresboro Mission that the first services were held in Waycross. In 1888, this church was organized; Reverend J. G. Stern was the first pastor. There were 17 members and they met in a new building. The present frame building was built in 1935.