McRae was designated the Telfair County seat in 1871 (replacing Jacksonville) and a courthouse was constructed in 1873. A more modern structure was completed in 1904 and served until burning in the early 1930s.
The present structure was built in 1934, incorporating some of the brick walls from the 1904 structure. It was designed by the Macon firm of Dennis & Dennis.
National Register of Historic Places