Bethesda was organized in 1827 but no records of its early history survive. A wood frame church was built in 1856 but was destroyed by fire in 1924. The congregation met in the local schoolhouse until 1935. Since the school had been donated to the church, the decision was made to raze it in 1935 and salvage its timbers to build the present structure.
The church is connected by a breezeway to a smaller, nearly identical social hall.