This is one of three important antebellum houses in the Tockwotton neighborhood. The Georgia historical marker placed in the neighborhood reads: Thomas County was created in 1825 and Thomasville established as county seat in 1826. Early settlers from Rhode Island are credited with naming this area for the Tockwotton Indian Tribe which inhabited Rhode Island at the time of its colonization. Development began during the antebellum period and the city limits of Thomasville were expanded to include Tockwotton in 1857. In the 1880s and 1890s wealthy Thomasville residents and winter visitors from the north began building large houses along South Hansell Street and Remington Avenue. By 1910, the area had taken on its present appearance characterized by informal front yards, flower plants and tree-lined streets the create a park-like setting. By the 1970s the neighborhood had deteriorated and was threatened by commercial development. In 1971, Thomasville Landmarks, Inc, a private, non-profit preservation group led by its president Marguerite Neel Williams thwarted the redevelopment of this area. The Tockwotton-Love Place Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.
Tockwotton-Love Place Historic District, National Register of Historic Places