Category Archives: Brinson GA

Brinson United Methodist Church, 1901, Decatur County

historic-brinson-united-methodist-church-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2017

The origins of this church can be traced to the Spring Creek Mission, organized in 1867. A crude log building served as the first church.  In 1871, the congregation adopted the name of Mt. Zion and a second structure of frame construction was built. The third and present building dates to 1901.

Brinson Family Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Advertisements

1 Comment

Filed under --DECATUR COUNTY GA--, Brinson GA

Homer Hodges Brinson House, 1907, Brinson

brinson-ga-homer-hodges-brinson-house-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2017

Built by the second son of Simeon Brinson, Homer Hodges Brinson (1878-1944), this house was extensively remodeled around 1919 in the eclectic style typical of the era. Elements of the Craftsman,American Foursquare and Prairie styles are the most predominant influences.

Brinson Family Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --DECATUR COUNTY GA--, Brinson GA

Simeon Brinson House, 1893, Brinson

brinson-ga-victorian-house-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2017

This grand Victorian was built by Simeon Brinson (1847-1918), founder of the town that bears his name. In the 1870s, Simeon bought large tracts of land in the area and surveyed the area for a town in 1889, after the coming of the railroad. He served as a postmaster in the town’s early days and after it was incorporated in 1907 was its first mayor. The family owned the only bank in the town, as well as a cotton warehouse.

Brinson Family Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --DECATUR COUNTY GA--, Brinson GA

Brinson Town Hall

brinson-ga-town-hall-decatur-county-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2011

Brinson was incorporated in 1907.

Leave a comment

Filed under --DECATUR COUNTY GA--, Brinson GA