This steel stringer overpass has become a landmark because it retains the original Atlantic Coast Line signage. The line is presently owned by CSX.
Category Archives: Byromville GA
Byromville, originally known as Friendship, was a stagecoach stop operated by Thomas Swearington. In 1852, Swearington sold the surrounding land to William Hardwick Byrom. Byrom built a large general store, which included a post office, and the name of the community was changed to honor him, in 1853. It was incorporated in 1905. This landmark Greek Revival Georgian Cottage remained in the Byrom family until 1992 and underwent a certified rehabilitation by the new owners thereafter.
National Register of Historic Places
This was originally a residence, but the Byromville Woman’s Club purchased it for $75 in 1936 and utilized WPA labor to renovate it for use as their clubhouse. They held their first meeting here the day after Thanksgiving, 1937. A bit of history from the 2010 Byromville Woman’s Club Yearbook: In October 1918 a group of ladies met at the school auditorium to organize a club to promote a more friendly relationship between parents and teacher and to work for the upbuiding of the school and community. Mrs. Minnie McDonald was the organizer and suggested the name School Improvement Club, which was adopted by the club.
They changed their name to Byromville Woman’s Club in 1970.