This home was built by Gilliard Roberts, an early African-American entrepreneur who had businesses in Savannah and Claxton. It was later owned by Walter & Mattie Scott, Julius Caesar Banks, and served as a boarding house and apartment house for teachers.
Category Archives: Claxton GA
Built for a Mr. Carr in 1892, this Queen Anne house was purchased by the Collins family in 1894. As each of the Collins children grew up, they were given a lot on the block. The neighborhood was known as “Collins Row” and was ruled by Maggie Collins, who was lovingly known as “Big Chief”.
Source: Evans County Centennial Commission, Driving Tour of Historic Homes & Landmarks, Claxton, 2014.