Category Archives: Columbus GA

Columbian Lodge No. 7 F&AM, 1902, Columbus

Columbian Lodge No 7 F & AM Columbus GA Flowers Building Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2015

Also known as the Flowers Building, for a later tenant, this Chicago-style landmark was designed by architect T. Frith Lockwood to house the local Masons. The floors not used for the lodge were rented as office and retail space. It’s now used as a residential space. (Lockwood’s son, T. F., Jr., was also a prominent Georgia architect).

Columbus Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under --MUSCOGEE COUNTY GA--, Columbus GA

Empire Building, 1896, Columbus

Empire Building 1896 Columbus GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2015

Originally known as the Columbus Investment Company Building, this was known as the Murrah Building by 1910. In 1958, it was renamed the Empire Building.

Columbus Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

3 Comments

Filed under --MUSCOGEE COUNTY GA--, Columbus GA

Confederate Monument, 1879, Columbus

Confederate Monument Columbus GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2015

One of the earliest official Cofederate monuments erected after the war was raised in Salisbury Park in Columbus to great fanfare. One of the last battles of the Civil War, albeit two weeks after Lee’s surrender, was the Battle of Columbus. This may account for Frank M. McKenney’s description in The Standing Army: History of Georgia’s County Confederate Monuments (Wolfe Associates, Alpharetta, 1993): “The women of Columbus were fervent Confederates. They were the first to observe Confederate Memorial Day, on April 26, 1866, and plans for a memorial to the local war dead began even before the war ended. The Monumental Club was formed March 10, 1865.” On the date of the monument’s dedication on 26 April, contractors Muldoon and Karnes had failed to erect the shaft. Their defense was that the inscription had not been chosen, which it had not. It lay nearby on the ground as a makeshift platform covered with flowers served as the focal point. Governor Alfred Holt Colquitt was the principal orator and over 5000 guests were in attendance. The Auburn Cadets and other out of town military units marched in a parade, as well as the local militia. The monument was quietly raised sometime in June. It cost $4500. Granite steps were added for $500 in 1881 to increase the height. The inscription: Gather the sacred dust – Of warriors tried and true – Who bore the Flag of our Nation’s trust – And fell in the Cause tho lost still just – And died for me and you

Columbus Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --MUSCOGEE COUNTY GA--, Columbus GA

Federal Style House, 1840, Columbus

Historic Columbus GA Federal Style House Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2015

Columbus Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

This house is quite similar in style to the Milledgeville Federal houses which can be found in the old capital city. This style is not common and is quite interesting to see in Columbus. Architectural historians may call it Federal-inspired or Federal Revival, but I was immediately aware of the aesthetic connection to the Milledgeville houses.

http://vanishingnorthgeorgia.com/tag/milledgeville-federal-style/

3 Comments

Filed under --MUSCOGEE COUNTY GA--, Columbus GA

Carpenter Italianate House, 1870, Columbus

Historic Columbus GA Carpenter Italianate House Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2015

Columbus Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --MUSCOGEE COUNTY GA--, Columbus GA

Walker-Peters-Langdon House, 1828, Columbus

Historic Columbus GA Walkers Peters Langdon House Early Prefabricated Architecture Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2015

Prefab housing of the 19th century? This house was built for Colonel Virgil H. Walker by Nathaniel Peters and is believed to have been fabricated offsite, then constructed at this location. Thought to be the oldest house in the original city limits of Columbus, it was likely a town house for Colonel Walker’s large family, who were prominent landowners in neighboring Harris County. Colonel Walker sold the house and lot in 1836 to Mrs. Dicey Peters. In 1849, Mrs. Peter’s daughter Frances, who had married Will Langdon, obtained the house. Members of the Langdon family occupied the house for over a hundred years. Today, the property is owned by the Historic Columbus Foundation. It’s open for tours, but only by appointment.

National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --MUSCOGEE COUNTY GA--, Columbus GA

Federal-Style House, 1835, Columbus

Historic Columbus GA Federal Style House Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2015

This amazing survivor is located next door to the Pemberton House.

Columbus Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --MUSCOGEE COUNTY GA--, Columbus GA