Category Archives: Holmesville GA
Located in a roadside park on Georgia Highway 15, south of Baxley, this granite marker notes the charter site of the Holmesville Masonic Lodge, No. 195, Free & Accepted Masons.Other markers and monuments (a Confederate memorial is pictured in the next post) here pay tribute to the first county seat of Appling County, Holmesville. A bronze tablet (not pictured) placed by the Colonel Daniel Appling Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution notes that Holmesville was incorporated here on 8 December 1828, on the property of Solomon Kennedy. At the time of its founding, present-day Appling County, encompassed all or part of 12 counties: Appling; Atkinson; Bacon; Brantley; Charlton; Clinch; Coffee; Echols; Jeff Davis; Pierce; Ware; and Wayne.