This transitional antebellum house is among the oldest standing in Houston County.
Category Archives: –HOUSTON COUNTY GA–
Perhaps Perry’s most historic structure, this church was begun at the outset of the Civil War. The congregation dates to 1826 and at least two buildings served as home to the Methodist church prior to the construction of this one. The architect of the present church, D. P. Flandreau, of Chester, New York, was so taken with the South that he left Perry to serve with the Confederacy as a member of the Southern Rights Guard. Legend suggests that a slave named Pete, belonging to W. M. Davis, was sent by his master to learn architecture in the North, was granted his freedom after building such a fine home for Davis. It is suggested that with the help of other slaves they completed this church while their masters were away at war.