Category Archives: –JEFFERSON COUNTY GA–

Dogtrot House, Jefferson County

This house is remarkably well-preserved, though the open hall is now used for storage.

 

Leave a comment

Filed under --JEFFERSON COUNTY GA--

Omaha Springs Hotel, Circa 1900, Jefferson County

The Omaha Springs Hotel (built in the early 1900s) is among the last surviving resort hotels of the mineral springs era, a time when the purported healing properties of the state’s abundant natural springs attracted visitors from all over the country. Many locations featured hotels and cabins but most have long been demolished. In A Preliminary Report on the Mineral Springs of Georgia (Atlanta, 1913), state geologist S. W. McCallie noted: This group of springs…are situated in a dense grove at the base of a rather precipitous hill-slope…One of the largest of the springs from which a sample of water was secured for analysis flows something like 100 gallons per minute. The main improvement consists of a well-built hotel of 24 rooms. The water from these springs is said to have a considerable sale in Augusta…and is well suited as a table water.

The structure is a private residence and can only be seen from a gate. Without the longtime stewardship of the Fleming family, who owned and maintained the property for decades, this treasure would surely have not survived.

2 Comments

Filed under --JEFFERSON COUNTY GA--

Abandoned Bank, Matthews

I’ve been able to find very little information about Matthews. It was well established by the late 19th century and was incorporated in 1904, though the area was likely inhabited much earlier.

1 Comment

Filed under --JEFFERSON COUNTY GA--, Matthews GA

General Store, Matthews

It’s amazing that three landmark general stores survive in a community as small as Matthews. This example is the most endangered, but relatively stable.

Leave a comment

Filed under --JEFFERSON COUNTY GA--, Matthews GA

General Store & Post Office, Matthews

This general store is built in the same style as the one pictured in the next post, located on the other end of Oak Street. Keith McLendon notes that it served as the Matthews post office until about 15-20 years ago.

1 Comment

Filed under --JEFFERSON COUNTY GA--, Matthews GA

General Store, Matthews

Like its twin down the street, it’s possible that this may have also served as feed & seed/warehouse, but it’s certainly a good example of the common style of late 19th/early 20th century rural general stores.

Leave a comment

Filed under --JEFFERSON COUNTY GA--, Matthews GA

Augusta, Gibson & Sandersville Railroad Depot, Circa 1884, Matthews

The Augusta, Gibson & Sandersville Railroad ran track through Matthews in the mid-1880s and built a depot around that time. There’s a similar depot in Mitchell, on the same line.

1 Comment

Filed under --JEFFERSON COUNTY GA--, Matthews GA