Category Archives: –LAURENS COUNTY GA–

J. H. Beacham House, Circa 1910, Dublin

According to Scott Thompson’s Pieces of Our Past this served as the National College of Business from 1961-64. It was also home to the Nancy Taylor Charm School.

Stubbs Park-Stonewall Street Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Advertisements

1 Comment

Filed under --LAURENS COUNTY GA--, Dublin GA

Garrett House, Circa 1910, Dublin

Stubbs Park-Stonewall Street Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --LAURENS COUNTY GA--, Dublin GA

Craftsman Cottage, Dublin

Stubbs Park-Stonewall Street Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --LAURENS COUNTY GA--, Dublin GA

Folk Victorian House, Dublin

Stubbs Park-Stonewall Street Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

3 Comments

Filed under --LAURENS COUNTY GA--, Dublin GA

Colonial Revival House, Dublin

Stubbs Park-Stonewall Street Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --LAURENS COUNTY GA--, Dublin GA

Queen Anne Cottage, Dublin

Stubbs Park-Stonewall Street Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

2 Comments

Filed under --LAURENS COUNTY GA--, Dublin GA

Bashinski-Claxton House, Circa 1907, Dubliln

Isadore “Izzie” Bashinski (1875-1934), who was a college roommate of Carl Vinson, moved to Dublin in 1906 and formed the Yellow Pine Lumber Company and the Oconee Navigation Company. By the end of the year he married Helen McCall, a native of Buena Vista and cousin of future Georgia governor Eugene Talmadge. Soon thereafter, they hired architect Charles Choate to build this home, one of the most unique in Dublin. It was the scene of many important social functions, including a gala with Governor Joseph M. Brown in 1908. Bashinski served on the staff of Governor Brown. Cotton was king in the South during this time, of course, and Bashinski and his brother Sam made a fortune as cotton factors, or brokers. Their Dixie Cotton Company was the largest in the south, with 25 branches throughout Georgia. Bashinski was an early proponent of business diversity and over the years formed the Consolidated Phosphate Company, Dublin Peanut Company, Citizens Loan & Guaranty Company, and the Oconee Guano Company. He was also a partner in the 12th Disctrict Fair Association, was a member of the first board of the Dublin Chamber of Commerce, the school board, and the city council. He also served as mayor during World War I. The Great Depression hit Bashinski’s multitude of businesses hard and in 1932 the family lost the home. It was purchased by Dr. E. B. Claxton, whose family remained in it for many years. Scott Thompson covers much more ground at his excellent local history page, Pieces of Our Past.

Stubbs Park-Stonewall Street Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

2 Comments

Filed under --LAURENS COUNTY GA--, Dublin GA