Category Archives: –LEE COUNTY GA–

Central of Georgia Depot, Circa 1895, Leesburg

leesburg ga historic central of georgia railway depot photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2010

After the depot was decommissioned by the railroad, it served as both Leesburg City Hall and the library for a time. It was badly damaged by a storm in 2006.

historic leesburg ga railroad depot photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2010

After numerous delays beginning in 2002, the depot was finally restored and reopened as the visitor center and Chamber of Commerce in 2018.

National Register of Historic Places

Advertisements

6 Comments

Filed under --LEE COUNTY GA--, Leesburg GA

Lee County Courthouse, 1918, Leesburg

This is one of several Georgia courthouses designed by J. J. Baldwin in the early 20th century.

National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --LEE COUNTY GA--, Leesburg GA

Thomas Social Club, Lee County

thomas social club lee county ga photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2010

Operated by Mr. Dennis Thomas, Thomas Social Club (better known as Heavy’s) has been a gathering place for African-Americans in Lee County since 1969. A sign outside advertises Hot Barbeque and Cold Beer, and free food and music on Wednesdays. Places like this are increasingly rare.

2 Comments

Filed under --LEE COUNTY GA--