Category Archives: Lee Pope GA

Seasonal Peach Workers’ Housing, 1910s, Lee Pope

A sign identifies this amazing survivor as the Lee Pope Hotel, though it was actually housing for Pearson Farms’ seasonal peach workers.

All the structures of the Lee Pope Fruit Farm should be included in the National Register of Historic Places as an important example of a 20th century Georgia peach farm.

5 Comments

Filed under --CRAWFORD COUNTY GA--, Lee Pope GA

Lee Pope House, Circa 1910

According to the Pearson Farm website, the Lee Pope House came with the farm when the property was purchased by John and Rosa Lee Pearson. They raised their family here.

1 Comment

Filed under --CRAWFORD COUNTY GA--, Lee Pope GA

Commissary, 1910s, Lee Pope

Around 1910, the Pearson family purchased the tremendous Lee Pope Fruit Farm and its peach packing operation here. It included numerous tenant houses, this commissary, a “hotel” which housed seasonal workers (really a dormitory), a packing house (now gone), and numerous barns and sheds. At one time, the Pearson peaches were branded “Big 6”. The family’s long-term preservation of this property provides an important historic lesson of the importance of the peach industry in this section of Middle Georgia and she be commended.

Leave a comment

Filed under --CRAWFORD COUNTY GA--, Lee Pope GA