Smyrna Primitive Baptist is among the oldest congregations in the area, having been constituted at a nearby location in 1824. The present church is the third and final location of Smyrna, which disbanded around 1990.
The lack of paint and other modern conveniences was an aesthetic of the Alabaha/Crawfordite congregations most prevalent in Brantley County.
This primitive design is even more evident inside, with exposed roof beams, bare walls, shuttered windows, and a haphazard floor plan. A good history of Smyrna Primitive Baptist Church is presently available online.
There is no piano, as “hardshell” folk don’t believe in musical accompaniment. It’s interesting, as well, that the pulpit is located on the side of the church, and not in the rear, as is the custom. There’s also no form of insulation or electricity.
In the cemetery at Smyrna Primitive Baptist Church are many of the pioneer settlers of Brantley County, including a large number of Confederate veterans.