Category Archives: Marlow GA

Smitty’s Grocery, Marlow

marlow ga smittys grocery photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2010

Smitty’s Grocery has been an Effingham County landmark for well over fifty years. Many have good memories of Mr. Smitty and Mrs. Patrice Johnson. The structure was actually one of three parts of the late-19th-century Richard Cuyler house. I believe it’s recently been reopened as a grocery and antique market.

marlow ga smittys sign photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2010

Advertisements

5 Comments

Filed under --EFFINGHAM COUNTY GA--, Marlow GA

Maner House, Marlow

marlow ga maner house photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2010

Thanks to Marvin Mayner for the identification. This is an exceptionally nice example of a 19th-century Italianate house.

Leave a comment

Filed under --EFFINGHAM COUNTY GA--, Marlow GA

Maner’s Radio & TV Repair, Marlow

marlow ga maners radio tv service photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2010

Thanks to Marvin Maner for the identification. This was his grandfather’s shop and is still owned by his family.

1 Comment

Filed under --EFFINGHAM COUNTY GA--, Marlow GA

First Baptist Church, Marlow

marlow ga first baptist church photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2016

Leave a comment

Filed under --EFFINGHAM COUNTY GA--, Marlow GA

M. E. Church, South, 1905, Marlow

historic marlow united methodist church effingham county ga photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2010

The South Georgia Conference notes: In 1884, Mr. Edward J. Purse deeded to the trustees one acre of land in the village of Marlow to be used as a place of worship for the MECS (Methodist Episcopal Church, South). However, it wasn’t until 1905, that Marlow was organized and the present sanctuary built using timber donated by the Presbyterians living in the area.  Known charter members were Mr. and Mrs. B. N. Shearouse, Mr. and Mrs. Dugger and A. J. Shearouse and family.  Among the first to join the church were O. Newton Mingledorff, Jr., and Mildred Shearouse in 1907. It’s still active as a United Methodist Church.

2 Comments

Filed under --EFFINGHAM COUNTY GA--, Marlow GA