Metcalfe (sometimes spelled Metcalf) is a tiny hamlet between Thomasville and the Florida line, linked for much of its history by the railroad that passed through here and the timber industry so active in the area. For many years, these old storefronts were in a state of disrepair and their future was uncertain. The drive down from Thomasville on Magnolia Road & Metcalfe Road, passing through grand old longleaf pine plantations, is one of the most beautiful in the state.
In December 2008, a large group of concerned citizens attended a rehabilitation meeting initiated by Thomasville Landmarks and the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation with the purpose of discussing the future of Metcalfe.
One of the first efforts was the restoration of this structure, built in 1916 as the Metcalfe Branch of the Commercial Bank of Thomasville and later known as the Bank of Metcalfe.
These old country stores have been restored, as well.
Metcalfe Historic District, National Register of Historic Places