According to Shawn Weathersby, this was associated the Milner Grist Mill. I’m not sure what purpose the building served.
Perhaps due to to its lyrical name, the Ichawaynochaway is one of the best known waterways of Southwest Georgia. (Locals often shorten the name to Nochaway). But it’s also one of the longest “creeks” in the state, cutting its way through nearly 84 miles of red Georgia clay. It rises near Weston, in Webster County and flows through Stewart, Randolph, Terrell, and Calhoun counties before joining the Flint River in Baker County. Perhaps dry runs in the summer months are the reason it isn’t called a river, but when viewed at high water in wet seasons it’s as much a river as any other in the region.
There’s debate as to the origin of the name, but it’s a Muskogee word. Some suggest it refers to either beaver or deer but the more popular theory asserts that it means “the place where deer sleep”. The latter seems likely, considering it runs adjacent to some of the best hunting lands in Georgia.
Morgan came into being as a compromise. Soon after Calhoun County’s creation in 1854, a debate arose as to whether the town of Whitney or Concord would become the county seat. The compromise was to lay out a town between the two for the purpose of conducting the business of the courts. There’s also a debate as to the origin of the name. Some contend it honors Hiram Morgan, one of the first commissioners; while others feel it was Revolutionary War general Daniel Morgan. It was incorporated in 1856. An attempt to move the county seat from Morgan to Arlington passed a public vote in 1923 and Arlington served that capacity until 1929, when another vote removed the seat to Morgan, at which time plans to build this courthouse were made.
The present Calhoun County courthouse was designed in the Colonial Revival style by T. F. Lockwood, Jr., son of one of the busiest architects in Georgia in the early 20th century and an accomplished architect himself. He designed several courthouses, numerous churches and landmark private residences still standing today.