The downstairs portion of Ray City Lodge No. 553, Free & Accepted Masons, has served as the Ray City Drugstore and the Victory Soda Shop. It’s the only remaining commercial brick structure in Ray City.
Category Archives: Nashville GA
Nashville United Methodist Church is one of Berrien County’s most historic congregations. Founded in 1858, the church likely first met in members’ homes. There isn’t much information about the first church building, but in 1871, Benjamin Sorsby sold the congregation land for a church and parsonage for $13. The facility was located across the street from the present education building. In 1898, it was destroyed when a tree fell on it and construction on the present sanctuary began. It was completed in 1900.
Designed by the W. Chamberlain Company of Knoxville, Tennessee, the Berrien County Courthouse was built for $17,000. It replaced a two-story log structure of 1858 which was also located on this site. The old courthouse was moved across the street and used as a hotel for a time but it is no longer standing.
National Register of Historic Places
The historic commercial storefronts that surround the Berrien County courthouse are the heart of Nashville. They’ve been undergoing restorations in recent years.
Harvey’s Supermarket, Nashville’s most famous export, maintains a presence downtown with their support center. The old headquarters south of town is something else now.
Most of the structures are typical of early-20th-century commercial design.
The standout, however, is the McLamb & Company building (1907).
Another notable storefront is the marble jewelry store.