Category Archives: Parrott GA

Parrott, Georgia

Historic Main Street Parrott GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2016

First settled as a Creek village called Chenube in the first half of the 19th century, the post office name was changed to Parrott in 1889, when the present town was incorporated. It’s named for John Lawson Parrott (1838-1920), a prominent landowner in the area who donated the land which became the business district, including the school and churches. From its founding until World War II, Parrott was quite prosperous and once boasted the most millionaires per capita in the state. If you’re in the area, spend an hour or two walking around Parrott. It’s one of the nicest small towns anywhere in Georgia.

Parrott Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Advertisements

6 Comments

Filed under --TERRELL COUNTY GA--, Parrott GA

Wedge Building, Parrott

Parrott GA Wedge Building Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2016

It’s unusual to find structures like this in towns the size of Parrott. They’re more often associated with cities where space is at a premium. This one was likely built to take advantage of the railroad depot, which is located across the street.

Parrott Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

4 Comments

Filed under --TERRELL COUNTY GA--, Parrott GA

Parrott United Methodist Church, 1892, Terrell County

Historic Parrott Methodist Church Terrell County GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2016

One of Southwest Georgia’s most beautiful and well-maintained historic churches, the congregation of Parrott Methodist was formed after tent meetings by visiting pastors in 1891 sparked an interest in building a permanent church home. Land for the church was donated by Parrott’s namesake, John L. Parrott.

Parrott Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --TERRELL COUNTY GA--, Parrott GA

Parrott Baptist Church, 1920, Terrell County

Historic Parrott Baptist Church Terrell County GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2016

Parrott Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

2 Comments

Filed under --TERRELL COUNTY GA--, Parrott GA

Cook Street, Parrott

Cook Street Parrott GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2016

Parrott Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --TERRELL COUNTY GA--, Parrott GA

Seaboard Air Line Railway Depot, Circa 1889, Parrott

Parrott Depot Seaboard Air Line Columbus Southern Railway Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2016

Built circa 1889 for the Columbus Southern Railway, this small depot first saw service for Seaboard Air Line in 1890.

Parrott Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --TERRELL COUNTY GA--, Parrott GA

Modified Plantation Plain House, Parrott

Historic Parrott GA Plantation Plain Influenced House Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2016

This house may have been built in the I-house (Plantation Plain) style then later expanded to a gabled ell, with additional rooms and porches. It’s actually quite eclectic but much likely more comfortable than the traditional style that influenced it. The flat chimneys are interesting, as well.

Parrott Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --TERRELL COUNTY GA--, Parrott GA