Category Archives: –QUITMAN COUNTY GA–

Mercer-Bledsoe House, 1855, Georgetown

Historic Photograph (detail) of Mercer-Bledsoe House, courtesy of Jim Bledsoe

Jim Bledsoe writes: This Greek Revival house (the Mercer-Bledsoe House) was built by Levi Mercer for his son Dr. J. W. Mercer (1833-1893). Dr. Mercer first practiced medicine in the Cross Roads community but gave up his practice and came to Georgetown to become a business partner of Edgar C. Ellington. Mr. Ellington owned a large house next door, which was acquired by Dr. Mercer upon Ellington’s death. The house was then known as the Mercer House, though over the years it was owned by J. T. Gipson, L. G. Brannon, and R. G. Methvin. It no longer survives. The original Mercer house (pictured above) was rented out until 1911, at which time it was sold by Charles G. Mercer to William Walton Bledsoe (1874-1953). It is generally known today as the Bledsoe House.

 

9 Comments

Filed under --QUITMAN COUNTY GA--, Georgetown GA

Greek Revival House, Georgetown

 

Leave a comment

Filed under --QUITMAN COUNTY GA--, Georgetown GA

Harrison-Guerry-Brannon-McKenzie House, 1848, Georgetown

This is the oldest house in Georgetown and is well-maintained. James Bledsoe writes: The Guerry home, now the McKenzie home, was built about the year 1848, first being constructed in Alabama for Samuel Harrison and then being torn down and moved to Georgetown where it was rebuilt by James Harrison for his daughter and her husband, T. L. Guerry. I’m not sure when the home was acquired by the McKenzie family, but Mr. Robert McKenzie raised a family and lived there until just a few years ago until age 104…

2 Comments

Filed under --QUITMAN COUNTY GA--, Georgetown GA

Union Schoolhouse, Quitman County

Located next to Union United Methodist Church, this historic one-room schoolhouse is now used as a social hall for the congregation.

Leave a comment

Filed under --QUITMAN COUNTY GA--

Union United Methodist Church, 1867, Quitman County

Union Church was organized as non-denominational house of worship in 1837, about a mile from the present location. A second structure was built across the road from the present location and used until 1867 when this church was built. The exact date the church became affiliated with the Methodists is unknown.

Leave a comment

Filed under --QUITMAN COUNTY GA--

Quitman County Courthouse, 1939, Georgetown

The present courthouse replaced a two-story wooden structure which burned in 1920. Due to economic hard times, the county rented warehouse space for use as a temporary courthouse until this was built with federal relief funds during the Great Depression.

National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --QUITMAN COUNTY GA--, Georgetown GA

Old Quitman County Jail, 1891, Georgetown

historic-quitman-county-jail-georgetown-ga-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2011

This structure replaced the community’s first jail, a wooden structure built in 1859. The first sherrif of Quitman County, created in December 1858 from Randolph and Stewart Counties, was Sam Guerry. Commissioners who oversaw the building of this jail were J. E. Harris, Dr. F. M. Bledsoe, J. P. Kimble, and W. A. Cumbie. James H. Guerry was Judge of the Superior Court; M. L. Albritton was Ordinary; and G. A. Whitaker was Clerk of Court.

National Register of Historic Places

5 Comments

Filed under --QUITMAN COUNTY GA--, Georgetown GA