Category Archives: Sandersville GA

Queen Anne House, Sandersville

Sandersville GA Colonial Revival House Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2015

Though not as elaborate as one would expect for a Queen Anne, this house features a variety of elements related to the style.

North Harris Street Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under --WASHINGTON COUNTY GA--, Sandersville GA

Apartment House, Sandersville

Sandersville GA Apartment House Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2015

North Harris Street Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --WASHINGTON COUNTY GA--, Sandersville GA

Queen Anne House, Sandersville

Sandersville GA Vernacular House Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2015

North Harris Street Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --WASHINGTON COUNTY GA--, Sandersville GA

Pyramidal Roof Cottage, Sandersville

Sandersville GA Pyramidal Roof Neoclassical House Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2015

North Harris Street Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under Sandersville GA

Cohen-Tarbutton House, 1904, Sandersville

Sandersville GA Colonial Revival Mansion Landmark Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2015

This crown jewel of Sandersville’s residential historic district was designed by architect Norman Askins for H. E. Cohen, founder and first president of the Sandersville Railroad. Judge Charles Thigpen and Governor Thomas Hardwick also lived here before it was purchased by Benjamin James Tarbutton in 1924.

Sandersville GA Colonial Revival Architeccture Mansion Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2015

North Harris Street Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

2 Comments

Filed under --WASHINGTON COUNTY GA--, Sandersville GA

Masonic Lodge, Sandersville

Sandersville GA Masonic Lodge Courthouse Square Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2015

This was built on the courthouse square to replace the earlier lodge, which had been spared by Union troops during Sherman’s March to the Sea only to be lost to fire in 1921.

Sandersville Commercial & Industrial District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --WASHINGTON COUNTY GA--, Sandersville GA

Dr. Solomon Brantley House, 1850s, Sandersville

Sandersville GA Washington County Colonial Revival Eclectic House Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2015

From The Rambler, May-June 2001, Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation: Dr. Solomon Brantley, a physician who served in the Civil War from 1861-1865, and his wife Mary originally built the plantation plain house with little ornamentation. Architect Charles E. Choate added the Victorian detailing in 1899, when he was hired by a later owner to remodel the house. Story has it that Mary Brantley was among the women in Sandersville who begged Sherman not to burn down the town, and he rescinded his order to burn the houses. The house was passed down through several owners before the Haygood family bought it in 1953. The house is now being used as apartments…The house was originally built on piers, which were later filled in with concrete block.

North Harris Street Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --WASHINGTON COUNTY GA--, Sandersville GA