Category Archives: –STEWART COUNTY GA–

Louvale Church Row, Stewart County

Louvale Church Row Historic Marker Stewart County GA Picture Image Photograph Copyright © Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2013

As you’ll see in the following posts, Louvale’s Church Row (a National Register Historic Site) is one of the most historic and unique religious landmarks in Georgia. The marker placed by the Chattahoochee Historical Commission and the people of Louvale in 1986 reads: Originally Antioch, the town developing at the terminus of the Savannah, Americus and Montgomery (Little SAM) Railroad, was renamed Louvale in 1886. Antioch Primitive Baptist Church, founded 1832 in Pleasant Valley, moved to Moccasin Gap 1842 and here 1851. Present church was erected c. 1885 to replace original log structure. Marvin Methodist Church, founded 1830 in Green Hill moved here 1900 when present building was erected. New Hope Baptist Church constituted 1860 two miles from here moved to present building in 1901.

Louvale Church Row Stewart County GA Marvin Methodist Church 1900 New Hope Baptist Church 1901 Picture Image Photograph Copyright © Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2013

Marvin Methodist Church  & New Hope Baptist Church © Brian Brown 2013

Louvale Church Row Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under --STEWART COUNTY GA--, Louvale GA

Antioch Primitive Baptist Church, 1885, Louvale

Antioch Primitive Baptist Church Louvale GA Stewart County Church Row Architectural Cultural Landmark Picture Image Photograph Copyright © Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2013

Antioch Primitive Baptist began in 1832 in Spring Valley, moved to Moccasin Gap in 1842 and finally settled here in 1851. A log cabin was used for services, as well as the Institute next door, until this structure was built in 1885.

Antioch Primitive Baptist Church Louvale GA Stewart County Sanctuary Interior Recessed Pulpit Organ Piano Straight Back Pews Picture Image Photograph Copyright © Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2013

Louvale Church Row Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

 

2 Comments

Filed under --STEWART COUNTY GA--, Louvale GA

Antioch Institute, 1850s, Louvale

Antioch Institute School Primitive Baptist Church Louvale GA 1850s Antebellum Architecture Landmark Community House Picture Image Photograph Copyrigh © Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2013

At first glance it’s not as imposing as the other three structures on Louvale’s wonderful Church Row, but the Antioch Institute is the most historic of the lot. Antebellum school buildings are rare in South Georgia. It was built in the 1850s and operated by the Antioch Primitive Baptist Church until 1895. It is believed to have also been used as the church until the structure to the south was built in 1885. Today it serves as the Louvale Community House and is the home of the Sybil and John B. Richardson School of Sacred Harp Singing.

Antioch Institute School Primitive Baptist Church Louvale GA Interior Community House Richardson School of Shape Note Singing Picture Image Photograph Copyrigh © Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2013

The historic marker, placed by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Antioch Primitive Baptist Church in 1986 reads: Built in the 1850s, the school was operated by the Antioch Primitive Baptist Church until it was sold to Stewart County in 1895. The building is believed to have been used for church services until the handsome building to the south was erected for that purpose about 1885. The county operated the Louvale High School here until 1928 when the upper grades were transferred to Lumpkin. The elementary school remained until 1942. The school is now used as the Louvale Community House which serves as the home for the Sybil and John B. Richardson School of Sacred Harp Singing.

Louvale Church Row Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --STEWART COUNTY GA--, Louvale GA

Marvin Methodist Church, 1900, Louvale

Marvin Methodist Church Louvale GA Stewart County Church Row Architectural Landmark Picture Image Photograph Copyright © Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2013

Founded in Green Hill in 1830, Marvin Methodist moved to Louvale in 1900 when the present structure was built.

Marvin Methodist Church Louvale GA Stewart County Church Row Architectural Landmark Interior Sanctuary Wooden Pews with Cushions Picture Image Photograph Copyright ©Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2013

Like New Hope Baptist next door, Marvin Methodist has pillows on the pews.

Marvin Methodist Church Louvale GA Stewart County Church Row Architectural Landmark Interior Sanctuary Pulpit Curved Altar Picture Image Photograph Copyright © Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2013

The pulpit features a beautiful curved altar.

Marvin Methodist Church Louvale GA Stewart County Church Row Architectural Landmark Interior Sanctuary Wooden Pews Picture Image Photograph Copyright © Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2013

Louvale Church Row Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

2 Comments

Filed under --STEWART COUNTY GA--, Louvale GA

New Hope Baptist Church, 1901, Louvale

New Hope Baptist Church Louvale GA Stewart County Church Row Active Congregation Picture Image Photograph Copyright © Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2013

Constituted in 1860, two miles from this location, New Hope built the present church in 1901. It’s still an active congregation today and members keep it comfortable with cushions and pillows on the old pews.

New Hope Baptist Church Louvale GA Stewart County Sanctuary Interior Pews with Cushions Pillows Goldenrod Yellow Walls Picture Image Photograph Copyright © Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2013

The church is very well-maintained; I really liked the yellow walls.

New Hope Baptist Church Louvale GA Stewart County Sanctuary Interior Pulpit Wainscoating Beadboard Walls Goldenrod Yellow Flags Piano Space Heater Picture Image Photograph Copyright © Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2013

Though it’s a small congregation, it’s very aware of its history and importance in the area.

New Hope Baptist Church Louvale GA Stewart County Sanctuary Interior Attendance and Offering Chart Picture Image Photograph Copyright © Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2013

Louvale Church Row Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --STEWART COUNTY GA--, Louvale GA

Louvale, Georgia

Louvale GA Stewart County Old Country Stores RC Sign Peek Grocery Picture Image Photograph Copyright © Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2013

The green building on the right is the old Peek Grocery. Louvale is a neat place, most famous for its church row just up the road.

1 Comment

Filed under --STEWART COUNTY GA--, Louvale GA

Pate’s Grocery, Louvale

Louvale GA Stewart County Barbeque Joint Pepsi Sign Picture Image Photograph Copyright © Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2013

Mike writes: The store with the Pepsi Cola sign was known as Pates Grocery. It was a place where deer hunters gathered back in the 80’s when hunting deer with dogs was very active . The lady that ran it was known as Ma Pate . Her mother told me one time that all around there were the most beautiful Cotton fields and then one day some(one) came along bought it all up and planted it in pine trees . That later led to the most attractive hunting area in the state.  I hunted there for 25 years 1977-2003 in a club that was named Hitchitee Creek Hunting Club (leased from Ga. Kraft then sold to Mead which later merged with Westvaco.

1 Comment

Filed under --STEWART COUNTY GA--, Louvale GA