Category Archives: –STEWART COUNTY GA–

Jared Irwin House, Circa 1830, Lumpkin

Thought to be the oldest house in Lumpkin, this was originally a log dogtrot to which siding was later applied.  It was the home of Jared Irwin, namesake nephew of the early Georgia governor. Upon the death of the younger Irwin’s parents, Alexander and Penelope Irwin, he was adopted by his uncle. He was in the first graduating class of Franklin College (now the University of Georgia), was an original settler of Lumpkin and served as clerk of the inferior court of Stewart County. During the Creek War of 1836, he was killed in the Battle of Shepherd’s Plantation and was tied to his horse, which returned his body to Lumpkin.

The house has been modified over time but the interior remains in largely original condition. The shed room along the rear and the front porch are later additions. It is also known as the Irwin-Partain House.

National Register of Historic Places

Advertisements

2 Comments

Filed under --STEWART COUNTY GA--, Lumpkin GA

Erasmus Beall House, Circa 1836, Lumpkin

1 Comment

Filed under --STEWART COUNTY GA--, Lumpkin GA

Stewart-Webster Hospital, 1950, Richland

The cornerstone of the hospital is dated 1949 but I understand it wasn’t completed and occupied until 1950. It was sponsored by the Richland Lions Club and Dr. J. T. Phillips was the hospital authority chairman. This is just one of numerous rural hospitals that have closed in recent years, leaving many without accessible major medical care. The politics around the issue go back and forth, but when your county loses a hospital, that’s irrelevant. This particular hospital served two counties.

Leave a comment

Filed under --STEWART COUNTY GA--, Richland GA

Richland Elementary & High School, Circa 1933

According to Mac Moye, the first school on this site was built in 1888-1889. The second school was built in 1901 and burned in 1931. This structure was built and occupied by 1933. Much of the identification and background on Richland comes from Mac, an excellent local historian who also serves as Stewart County Manager.

Richland Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --STEWART COUNTY GA--, Richland GA

French House, Richland

This was the home of Jim French and family for many years. It was likely built in the 1890s or early 1900s.

Richland Historic Places, National Register of Historic Places

3 Comments

Filed under --STEWART COUNTY GA--, Richland GA

Dorman House, 1895, Richland

Richland Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

2 Comments

Filed under --STEWART COUNTY GA--, Richland GA

Dr. J. A. Sims House, 1910, Richland

Dr. Sims was an oral surgeon and Richland mayor from 1906-1908.

Richland Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

3 Comments

Filed under --STEWART COUNTY GA--, Richland GA