This historic church ceased to exist as an active congregation in 1995 and sat abandoned for seven years. Steve Head restored the church in 2002 and today he and group of trustees own the structure and maintain it, along with its cemetery.
Category Archives: Summertown GA
Summertown Baptist was originally constituted as the Baptist Church of Christ at Garbutt’s and later called Garbutt’s Baptist Church for its founder, George Garbutt. G. W. Smith was the first pastor. The church covenant was adopted by George Garbutt, J. Ashley Brown, Seth Coleman, Hannah Rountree, and Mollie F. Brown, on 6 December 1879. This structure was moved to its present location in 1913 on land donated by Jere M. Snellgrove and Wilton Whitehead.