Category Archives: Summit GA

Twin City, Georgia

twin-city-ga-summit-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2016

This was the commercial center of what was once known as Summit. It merged in 1920 with the adjacent town of Graymont to become Twin City.

Twin City Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Advertisements

2 Comments

Filed under --EMANUEL COUNTY GA--, Summit GA, Twin City GA

Historic Storefront, Twin City

twin-city-ga-historic-storefront-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2016

Twin City Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --EMANUEL COUNTY GA--, Summit GA, Twin City GA

Tin Storefront, Twin City

twin-city-ga-tin-storefront-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2016

Twin City Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

2 Comments

Filed under --EMANUEL COUNTY GA--, Summit GA, Twin City GA

O. A. Hall Store, Twin City

twin-city-ga-o-a-hall-general-store-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2016

The O. A. Hall Store opened in 1929 and was operated by Mrs. Hall for many years. In fact, it’s better known as the Mrs. O. A. Hall Store. It’s the oldest in Emanuel County. Though no longer a general store, the business is still in operation as a pecan buying point and agricultural supply. I spoke with the son-in-law of the present owner who’s a grandson of O. A. Hall, and he related that the business is still profitable though it’s changed with the times. He said the biggest item in the store today is pine straw twine.

twin-city-ga-o-a-hall-store-sunbeam-bread-doors-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2016

Twin City Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

 

7 Comments

Filed under --EMANUEL COUNTY GA--, Summit GA, Twin City GA

Millen & Southern Railway Depot, 1890s, Twin City

twin-city-ga-millen-and-southwestern-railway-depot-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2016

The Rogers & Summit Railway was established in 1889 to bring rail service into eastern Emanuel County. Its replacement, the Millen & Southern Railway, was completed by 1892; the depot likely dates to around that time. In 1897, the railroad’s name was changed to the Millen & Southwestern. The Georgia & Florida Railroad purchased the line, along with several others, in 1906 and in the process of linking these to form an Augusta-to-Madison-Florida route, built new tracks and bypassed Summit. Summit and Graymont merged to become Twin City in 1920. Decreasing rail traffic lead to the closure of the line in 1950. For more, see Steve Storey’s railga.com.

Twin City Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

2 Comments

Filed under --EMANUEL COUNTY GA--, Summit GA, Twin City GA

General Store, Twin City

twin city ga general store photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2010

This likely sold everything from groceries to hardware.

Twin City Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --EMANUEL COUNTY GA--, Summit GA, Twin City GA

Bishop’s Store, Twin City

twin city ga feed warehouse photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2010

Twin City Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --EMANUEL COUNTY GA--, Summit GA, Twin City GA