Category Archives: Thomasville GA

Gordon Avenue Apartments, 1929, Thomasville

This Tudor Revival apartment complex was designed by architects Sydney S. Daniell and Russell L. Beutell and built in 1929 to meet the immediate housing needs of the growing middle class community of Thomasville.

Each section of the complex has a slightly different design giving a bit a whimsical tone to the whole structure. It’s an early example of this process, commonly used with condominiums and apartments today.

National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --THOMAS COUNTY GA--, Thomasville GA

Pittman House, 1888, Thomasville

Dawson Street Residential Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --THOMAS COUNTY GA--, Thomasville GA

W. C. Pittman House, 1922, Thomasville

Dawson Street Residential Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --THOMAS COUNTY GA--, Thomasville GA

Ephraim Ponder House, 1856, Thomasville

Built for Ephraim G. Ponder, a slave trader, this house originally featured a square cupola at the center of the roof. Ponder enslaved the Flipper family and one of their children, Henry Ossian Flipper (1856-1940), was the first black cadet to be admitted to the United States Military Academy at West Point, in 1877.

Detail of albumen cabinet card of Lieutenant Henry Flipper by Kennedy of Wilberforce, Ohio, circa 1877.  Courtesy U.S. House of Representatives. Committee on Military Affairs. Public domain.

Flipper earned a commission as a second lieutenant in the U. S. Army. He was also the first black officer to lead the buffalo soldiers of the 10th Cavalry. He went on to serve in the Apache Wars and Victorio’s War but was troubled by rumors that led to his eventual court martial and discharge. He continued to work for the United States, as an assistant to the Secretary of the Interior in Mexico and Central America. Flipper’s family sought and received a complete pardon in 1999. It’s a nice irony that the slave trader is largely forgotten today while Mr. Flipper is honored with an annual award in his name at West Point.

Dawson Street Residential Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --THOMAS COUNTY GA--, Thomasville GA

Hawkins House, Circa 1891, Thomasville

The original owners built this as a replica of the adjacent Ball House, with the exception of a slightly different front porch.

Dawson Street Residential Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

2 Comments

Filed under --THOMAS COUNTY GA--, Thomasville GA

Ball House, Circa 1888, Thomasville

The Ball House was renovated by Thomasville architect Rod Brantely in 1948. Brantley added the chinoiserie porch, likely to distinguish it from its next door twin.

Dawson Street Residential Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --THOMAS COUNTY GA--, Thomasville GA

First Church of Christ, Scientist, 1918, Thomasville

This congregation was established circa 1918.

Dawson Street Residential Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

2 Comments

Filed under --THOMAS COUNTY GA--, Thomasville GA

Dr. Royal Miller House, 1903, Thomasville

Dawson Street Residential Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --THOMAS COUNTY GA--, Thomasville GA

Seixas House, Circa 1835, Thomasville

The Seixas [pronounced say-shus] family were among the early settlers of Thomasville and this house, now an office, is the oldest one-story house in Thomasville. It was moved to this location by Thomasville Landmarks to prevent demolition.

Dawson Street Residential Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

 

Leave a comment

Filed under --THOMAS COUNTY GA--, Thomasville GA

Bethany Congregational Church, 1891 & 1914, Thomasville

Bethany Congregational Church was built in conjunction with the Allen Normal & Industrial Institute (1885-1933), a progressive school for black children sponsored by the American Missionary Society. The Society was the missionary department of the United Church of Christ. The school had initially been established in Quitman but the white community there burned the school to the ground scarcely six weeks after its opening. The institute moved to Thomasville after this racist episode and built a new home. Bethany was built in 1891, but only the rear section visible above. The front of the church, including the steeple, was added to meet the needs of a growing congregation in 1914.

Andrew Young served as pastor here in 1955, just after graduating from Hartford Theological Seminary in Connecticut. He went on to become a seminal figure of the Civil Rights Movement, an ambassador to the United Nations, and mayor of Atlanta.

National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --THOMAS COUNTY GA--, Thomasville GA