Category Archives: Warthen GA

Bethlehem Academy, 1904, Warthen

historic-bethlehem-academy-warthen-community-center-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2016

Though it now serves as the Warthen Community Center, this Colonial Revival building was originally home to the Bethlehem Academy, associated with the adjacent church. It was chartered in 1832 and was integral to the social and academic life of the community well into the 20th century.

Warthen Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Advertisements

1 Comment

Filed under --WASHINGTON COUNTY GA--, Warthen GA

Bethlehem Baptist Church, 1890, Warthen

historic-bethlehem-baptist-church-warthen-ga-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2016

Constituted in 1790, Bethlehem Baptist’s congregation is thought to be the oldest in Washington County. It was first known as the Church of Christ on Cag Creek (now Keg Creek). It later relocated and was known as Williamson Swamp Meeting House. When they finally moved to Warthen in 1795, they welcomed the members of Paley Church and the old Cag Creek Church and became Bethlehem. The old wooden church burned in 1890 and was replaced with the present structure.

Warthen Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

2 Comments

Filed under --WASHINGTON COUNTY GA--, Warthen GA

Warthen United Methodist Church, 1886

historic-warthen-united-methodist-church-washington-county-ga-photograph-copyright-briann-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2016

Tom Warthen gave the land upon which this church was built in 1886, as his new wife was Methodist and there was no such church in the area.

Warthen Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --WASHINGTON COUNTY GA--, Warthen GA

Augusta Southern Railroad Depot, 1886, Warthen

Augusta Southern Railroad Depot Restoration Warthen GA Washington County Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2015

Though the rail line was abandoned in 1933, this historic depot has remained a landmark of Warthen for over eighty years since. It’s been used as a private residence and retail space in that time. I’m not sure as to its present purpose, but it’s likely a municipal use.

Warthen Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --WASHINGTON COUNTY GA--, Warthen GA

Abandoned House, Warthen

Warthen GA Washington County Abandoned House Vernacular Architecture Photograph Copyright Brian Brow Vanishing South Georgia USA 2015

1 Comment

Filed under --WASHINGTON COUNTY GA--, Warthen GA

General Store, Warthen

Warthen GA Washington County Historic Commercial Storefront Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2015

Warthen Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --WASHINGTON COUNTY GA--, Warthen GA

Farmers & Merchants Bank, 1911, Warthen

Warthen GA Washington County Old Bank Building Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2013

George Gilmore, E. T. May, & G. C. Walker are listed on the cornerstone as the building committee. J. J. Chafin was the builder.

Warthen Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

2 Comments

Filed under --WASHINGTON COUNTY GA--, Warthen GA