Category Archives: –WASHINGTON COUNTY GA–

Farmhouse & Dovecote, Washington County

washington-county-ga-eclectic-triple-gable-house-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2016

Located near Warthen, this eclectic farmhouse is maintained in beautiful condition. The dovecote is an amazing survivor. I’m not sure if the cistern on top is for holding water or an automatic feeder.

washington-county-ga-dovecote-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2016

Advertisements

3 Comments

Filed under --WASHINGTON COUNTY GA--

Bethlehem Academy, 1904, Warthen

historic-bethlehem-academy-warthen-community-center-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2016

Though it now serves as the Warthen Community Center, this Colonial Revival building was originally home to the Bethlehem Academy, associated with the adjacent church. It was chartered in 1832 and was integral to the social and academic life of the community well into the 20th century.

Warthen Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --WASHINGTON COUNTY GA--, Warthen GA

Bethlehem Baptist Church, 1890, Warthen

historic-bethlehem-baptist-church-warthen-ga-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2016

Constituted in 1790, Bethlehem Baptist’s congregation is thought to be the oldest in Washington County. It was first known as the Church of Christ on Cag Creek (now Keg Creek). It later relocated and was known as Williamson Swamp Meeting House. When they finally moved to Warthen in 1795, they welcomed the members of Paley Church and the old Cag Creek Church and became Bethlehem. The old wooden church burned in 1890 and was replaced with the present structure.

Warthen Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

2 Comments

Filed under --WASHINGTON COUNTY GA--, Warthen GA

Warthen United Methodist Church, 1886

historic-warthen-united-methodist-church-washington-county-ga-photograph-copyright-briann-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2016

Tom Warthen gave the land upon which this church was built in 1886, as his new wife was Methodist and there was no such church in the area.

Warthen Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --WASHINGTON COUNTY GA--, Warthen GA

Deepstep Road, Washington County

deepstep-road-washington-county-ga-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2016

Besides being one of the prettiest drives in this part of Georgia, Deepstep Road, which is situated near the Fall Line, allows the traveler to see where the Coastal Plain ends and the Piedmont begins.

8 Comments

Filed under --WASHINGTON COUNTY GA--

C. R. Giles Groceries, Washington County

giles-grocery-washington-county-ga-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2016

This iconic country store on Deepstep Road was established at Giles Crossroads in 1922.

giles-cross-roads-washington-county-ga-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2016

Leave a comment

Filed under --WASHINGTON COUNTY GA--

Dixon’s Pleasant Grove Baptist Church, Washington County

washington-county-ga-historic-dixons-pleasant-grove-baptist-church-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2016

2 Comments

Filed under --WASHINGTON COUNTY GA--